Welcome to my world. Come in, sit down, enjoy the view from my perspective. Cup of coffee? Cream & sugar? Please make yourself at home. Kick off your shoes & stay a while. Or, as my Daddy would say, "Pull up a chair, 'cause ya'll ain't gonna believe this!"

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere

The following blog was written by my husband... I know most of you aren't subscribed to his blog or mine, but I felt the need to pass this along to you.

Click here for the full story: http://www.wilsonappeal.com/index.php

The following is his blog:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Support Genarlow


I am feeling a shift in some of my beliefs about freedom and opportunity in America. I recently read the story of Genarlow Wilson, a 17-year-old who was sentenced to ten years in prison for engaging in consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old female. The cynical side of me still says that he shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with but who am I to judge? I was 17 once, was I so pure? How about the prosecutor in the case who says Genarlow should take his medicine and plea to 5 years and register as a sex offender? Was he not once 17?


Growing up what I would consider a privileged life in a mostly white community I was never really exposed to inner-city life. I've always argued no matter where you start from in America everyone has an equal opportunity to succeed and live the American dream. I hear all of the anecdotes of injustice such as the much-publicized Rodney King case but I've always had that same cynical attitude I referred to earlier. Always feeling, there are more blacks in prison because more blacks commit crimes. Genarlow Wilson's case is a true eye-opener.


If indeed the justice system is thusly unequal perhaps equalizers like affirmative action are still a necessity. After reading about this case I will certainly think about these issues with a more open mind. Read the story and sign the petition. For anyone who knows me, you would know how out of character it is for me to take on this kind of fight. But it is SO unjust that I cannot idly sit back and let it pass by.


http://www.wilsonappeal.com/petition.php

~~~~~~~~~~~END BLOG~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere!

I felt it necessary to pass this along because I feel it's such a blatant injustice that it rattles me to the core. He is incarcerated because he was RECEIVING oral sex from a girl 2 years his junior. He wasn't on top of her, or raping her, or forcing her to do anything. She was a willing participant.

Yes, she was 15 at the time and he was 17. Think back to highschool, everyone... didn't you date someone a bit younger than you were at the time? I think we all might have.

Folks, this could be your brother, your son, or your nephew. Not MY relative, you say? Are you so sure about that? This young man was on the right track, he was headed to college, gearing up to take SAT's... he had a 3.2 GPA, and no prior criminal background. Now he is condemned as a child molester and will have to register his name on the sexual offender registry for the rest of his life. Not to mention the mandatory (did you see that? MANDATORY, no chance of parole) 10 years he has to spend rotting in prison with another year on probation.

The in-your-face example the Georgia state legal system is making of him sickens me beyond belief. Can you imagine if this were your brother or your son? What would YOU do if it were?

It's not about being black or white or Latino or Asian or Pacific Islander or rich or poor... this is about justice for one young man who made a mistake. Haven't we all been 17 once? I don't know about you, but I remember when I was 17 and I wasn't an angel. Haven't we all done things that we're probably not proud of? If they lock you up because you make a mistake then perhaps they ought to lock up all of us.

Please forward this petition on to your friends and everyone you think might sign it. Let's get the word out to sign his petition and see what we all can do to help this young man get out of prison and back on the right track. Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!